Re: Ending the Linked Data debate -- PLEASE VOTE *NOW*!

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:41:11 -0400
To: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
CC: "ashok.malhotra@oracle.com" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>, "public-ldp@w3.org" <public-ldp@w3.org>
On 06/13/2013 02:26 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:
> if you ask around elsewhere and ask "do you want your data to be
> interlinked", most say yes. if you then ask "do you want this to be
> only done using RDF", people mostly say no. i have no poll to back
> this up, it is just my personal experience.

I would agree, and that is a perfect illustration of the difference
between a term of Art and a generic, descriptive use of a term.  As a
generic descriptive term (to one who is not aware of its meaning as a
term of Art) "linked data" may suggest *any* form of connected data --
such as database tables that are connected.  But within a specific
communities the term may have a significantly more constrained meaning
as a term of art.

David