Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-19: Adressing more error cases, as is

On 10 Jun 2013, at 20:34, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>
> On 06/10/2013 02:07 PM, Henry Story wrote:

>>> No, this is not happening.

>>> Right, +turtle would itself point to what's defined for turtle/text,
>>> leaving the interactions and semantics to application/ldp (and
>>> possibly application/api-problem).

>>> Would be extremely easy to adapt in the present case.
>>
>> You left out your question to which Martynas was answering which was:
>> "Can you please say which softwares would be broken? And why?"
>>
>> His answer is that client software which would before have correctly parsed
>> the turtle or been able to content negotiate on it, now won't be able to do
>> so correctly. What was working correctly now is not working. That is what
>> "broken" means. You now have to fix, what did not need fixing before hand.
>> This would be very expensive. Since you can furthermore achieve the
>> same aim without breaking clients, it is not clear why you want to introduce
>> this.
>
> I believe that's what Erik tried to explain before: do we even care
> about Turtle parsers? I believe that the answer is clearly no, because
> we're requiring them to speak LDP anyway, not just consuming some
> Turtle. If you just want read some RDF, you will always be able to use
> text/turtle.

??? Do We even care about Turtle Parsers ???

Please open an issue on this. I did not realise we were putting Turtle in question
here, and I don't see that I need to start even discussing this one until you have
the guts to open an issue and go through the process of confronting Arnaud,
his time table, and all the editors with the thought that they may just need
to re-work the whole spec.

>>> Ah, ok, so just know that there wouldn't be any new syntax.
>>
>> Which is exactly why having a new mime type is silly.
>
> We tried to explain that the problem was not about keeping the syntax
> but how to convey the possible interactions. And that's exactly where
> we're running into circles.

But you have never explained why you think one MUST do it using the
mime type and that NO other way can work.

> Alexandre.
>

>>> Alexandre.

>> Social Web Architect
>> http://bblfish.net/