Fw: Comments on LDP-Paging - 5.1.5 whole != sum(parts)

Moving SS reply on-list.

wrt union, all I'm saying is: since LDP Paging only defines how to combine
pages when the paged resource is a LDP-RS, 'union' is not going to be
necessarily the right operation for all LDPRs.  If I think about using
this in Google Maps (each tile = 1 page), it's obviously *the wrong*
operation no matter how you define union in any commonly understood way.
Yet it seems like a perfectly sensible use of Paging, were those folks so
inclined (disclaimer: I don't work for that company, don't know anyone in
that dev group, and so on - purely speculative example on my part.)

I did verify that the current text is a straight copy from 5005 paged
feeds.  Given that LDP Paging adds canonical etags as a way for clients to
detect when the container changed, which paged feeds have no equivalent
for, it is overly pessimistic now (but not when it was copied).  There's
also a language mapping error (paged resource ~= logical feed, not paged
feed) that we can fix given the updates I made earlier this week, wherein
'page sequence' (which had crept into the draft via the email discussions)
was promoted to a formally defined term.

Strawman revision:
5.1.5 LDP Paging clients SHOULD NOT treat a page sequence as equivalent to
the paged resource when the _paged resource changed_ [link to 6.2.8]
_during retrieval of the page sequence_ [link to 6.2.7].

I'm tempted to say Must Not, given the addition of the "changed"
qualification vs 5005, but I can live with either.  Can anyone NOT live
with Must Not?  Keep in mind this is a constraint on LDP Paging clients,
not servers.

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
Cloud and Smarter Infrastructure OSLC Lead

----- Forwarded by John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM on 07/31/2014 10:35 AM -----