Re: review of ldp-paging

On 07/24/2014 10:59 AM, John Arwe wrote:
> Sandro, what behavior did you have in mind if we added your unless
> clause?
>
> As you can tell from my response (if you squint a bit), I read your
> intent to be "if the container is sorted, the server is [probably: has
> to] add a page anywhere in the sequence [in order to maintain the
> sorting constraint it advertised], or to 410 the sequence" and it's
> the first part that my response was concerned with.  If you had in
> mind that the server Must abandon the sequence if it adds a page other
> than at the end, that's not nearly as problematic for clients.

Sorry, I can't see the difference between your options.

I think we're saying there are three things a server is allowed to do
when container gets a new member during paging, and the servers MUST do
one of these three:

1.  Add the new item at the end.   That is, update the contents of the
rel=last page, or start a new rel=last page.

2.  Add the new item on the page where it belongs according to the
declared sort order.

3.  Reply with 410 gone.

The only design that's making sense to me is that unsorted containers
MAY do either 1 or 3 and sorted containers MAY do either 2 or 3.  It
makes no sense for unsorted to do 2, and sorted MUST NOT do 1.

Do you agree with all that?

Can you rephrase your question in that framework?   Or say what I'm missing?

       -- Sandro