Re: rel=type or rel=profile, issue 92

On 17 Jan 2014, at 23:45, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Henry, this is not crazy. This is simply a practical way of making progress. We have two sets of people reading the text to mean different things.

There was no serious reading of the RFC6906 text at any point yet in this discussion.
I quoted two extracts of the RFC at length here:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2014Jan/0060.html

and could not find anything there that explained how this relation could in any way solve
the problems put forward here and for which the rel=profile link was meant to be an answer.
I have not had anyone contradict my reading yet.

> Not withstanding the fact that one of these two sets counts everyone in the WG but you and the other is a singleton called Henry,

That was last week when I asked for more time to review the proposal. Since then I have
looked a lot more carefully at the issues, I have read in detail the RFC 6906, and have
discussed with a number of people openly on this list. I think we have made good progress,
and I don't think that I am alone in my doubts any more.

> why isn't it reasonable to turn to the author to arbitrate and tell us whether the proposed use is in the spirit of the spec or not?

The author can point to spec text, and explain how he believes this applies to what
we are doing. But he is not an impartial player in this debate as he wrote the text.

The text of RFC 6906 combined with a description of our alleged problem has
to be the basis on which we come to a decision on this.

I don't see furthermore how one can accuse me of holding up a process, since I am
the one arguing here that the current spec is fine, and am defending the status quo.

Henry