Re: ACTION-43 Draft use case for ordering

hello richard.

On 2013-03-26 13:15 , "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:
>I take it you mean that servers need a way to expose/announce their
>capabilities, so that clients may then choose from these capabilities.

yes. if these are static links, we just expose typed links. if these are
parametrized, we expose URI templates.

>I agree we need to do this, but I think it's important that server
>implementers have the choice of not implementing these ³advanced²
>capabilities (ordering, paging, client-selected page size).

yes, 100% agree. if it's links, these links are only exposed if provided.
if it's URI templates, the templates only expose variables if the features
are provided.

>For example, if there's no hypermedia affordance for selecting the page
>size on a container representation, then a client knows that it just has
>to live with whatever page size the server offers, even if this means
>poorer client performance.

yes, and like you said earlier, maybe all of this is a bit too much for v1
anyway...