Re: Editors draft now has inlining - issue-58

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Thanks John.
>
> For what it's worth I want to say that I'm still not comfortable with this
> and would much prefer we remove it from the spec until we have had a chance
> to explore this more thoroughly.
>
> When I recently looked at GSP again it occurred to me that beyond the
> difference on POST the one big difference I see between GSP and LDP is that
> GSP is much more precise on what triples one GETs when dereferencing a
> (graph) URI. The notion of resource boundary in LDP is basically
> implementation dependent and this inlining stuff makes it even more so.
>
> I also don't think we gave Miguel's idea of using a multi-part response a
> fair hearing.

I realized later that I may have misunderstood Miguel's suggestion, I
thought he was referring to 206-Partial-Content/ContentRange [1] method but
believe he was really suggesting to use media type multi-part (mixed) [2].
 I asked around if anyone has explored this approach and they haven't,
saying they may try it out and provide feedback.  I does provide a good way
to "inline" by providing in a single response the representation of the
container, its members and along with separate headers.  I'd be interested
to hear if anyone has experience with this approach.

[1] - http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.2.7
[2] - http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc1341/7_2_Multipart.html

 - Steve Speicher