Re: MKCOL for making collections

hello alexandre.

On 2013-01-22 16:35 , "Alexandre Bertails" <bertails@w3.org> wrote:
>I agree with Henry's premises: this way of creating containers should
>be discussed. The reason is that this strategy forces you to look into
>each RDF document that is POSTed, to search for the triples saying
>"hey, by the way, I'm an LDPC!".
>It's not that it's impossible, it's just very annoying in practice. So
>it's at least not perfect.

yes, servers need to inspect what they get in order to do the right thing.
and depending on what implementation framework is used, this sometimes can
be awkward (which in my opinion is a problem of many "REST-oriented"
frameworks, but that doesn't really help the developers much). in
practice, servers need to validate what they get anyway (they should raise
an error if any precondition is violated), and having a dispatch step
after that validation really isn't such a huge implementation effort.

in this specific case i don't think this is an issue at all, though,
because we're only POSTing entries to collection URIs, and collections to
a yet-to-be-determined URI that accepts creation requests for new
collections.