Re: MKCOL for making collections

On 01/22/2013 10:13 AM, Henry Story wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2013, at 16:11, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> On 01/22/2013 10:03 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>>> ISSUE-36: Can applications create new containers?
>>>
>>> We cannot make a collection by POSTing a doument on a collection, since that
>>> creates a resource. We therefore would need a different HTTP Method to do this.
>>>
>>> I suggest MKCOL from WebDAV, since it is already defined.
>>>

>>>     http://restpatterns.org/HTTP_Methods/MKCOL
>>>

>>> The content of the body, could be Triples that describe things
>>> that can be put into the collection. As it happens that is not
>>> defined yet it seems, so we can define it.
>>>
>>>    Any thoughts on that?  I'll try implementing that.
>>
>> What browsers don't support verbs like MKCOL and PATCH?
>>
>> This will require a fallback if you choose to go with such a strategy.
>
> All browsers to JavaScript now, right? Is it difficult to send a
> PATCH or MKCOL in javascript?

Yes, not all browsers support all the http verbs. But now that I think
about it, this is an issue with DELETE and PUT as well...

I don't have the references right now, though. And this may not be a
problem in most recent web browsers. It's just something to be aware
of.

What I know is that many web apis use ?method=PUT in their URLs as a
workaround.

Alexandre.