Re: naming resources - Slug-Header

On 8 Jan 2013, at 11:54, Roger Menday <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> hi Henry,
>
> An alternative proposal might be to just take the rdfs:label (or maybe from list of established vocab for 'labels') from the POSTed body as a 'hint' for a name (?)

That seems to be a compatible proposal.

1. The advantage of the SLUG Header is that it would work with
a non-rdf resource too.

2. Your proposal would be to POST a document containing
Either

(a) a new vocab item
  <> xxx:proposedTitle "card" .

(b) a well known one
  <> dc:title "Go Seigen's Friends" .

using (a) requires the LDP server to have a
MUST support for this, because it should really then
remove that triple if it did not manage to create the file,
since that triple was intended only to guide the act
of file creation, not for it to be maintained during the
whole life of the file. I have a feeling this gets more
complicated that the Slug header.

using (b) does not seem harmful having the server use
some dc:title like relation to guide its name creation in case
there is no Slug Header. But one can see issues with people
using the same title across a number of files, and it does
not seem fine grained enough.

Perhaps a deciding factor would be what would happen
when creating a new Collection. I don't think that there
we'd be sending some RDF content along.

But perhaps before we look at all the possible proposals
we should just open an ISSUE so that these answers don't
get lost?

Henry

> Roger
>
>> There are many cases when creating resources the user
>> would like to be able if possible to control the name
>> of the resource created  at least the last part of it
>> (excluding the extension). It makes  sense for example
>> that a foaf profile be named "card" when created in a
>> collection.
>>
>> Do I open an issue for this?
>>
>> Since we should give proposals for when we open issues, I
>> will do so immediately: I propose that for this we just
>> adopt the SLUG-Header as defined by the Atom Protocol.
>>
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5023#section-9.7
>>
>> Henry
>>
>> Social Web Architect
>> http://bblfish.net/

A short message from my sponsors: Vive la France!