Re: Question regarding POST versus PUT for creating an LDPC

From: Wilde, Erik <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:02:18 -0400
To: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com>
CC: "public-ldp-wg@w3.org" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
hello arnaud.

On 2013-04-18 14:51 , "Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>All the spec currently says on this is:
>4.4.6 LDPR servers MAY choose to allow the creation of new resources
>using HTTP PUT.

this as it stands doesn't make a whole lot of sense. how would a client
know where to PUT? a "server" is not even a thing in REST, all you get is
a service that is exposed via a set of URIs.

>Which I read as trying to discourage this practice although it's not
>quite that clear. What you're describing only makes me want to add
>something like the following to reinforce that thought! :-)
>LDPR clients SHOULD NOT try to create new resources using HTTP PUT.

well, to some extent you're safe as you are right now, because if you just
tell clients "feel free to send PUT requests somewhere", you're not really
telling them anything actionable. i think the whole PUT thing either
simply can be left out, or it has to be driven by hypertext, so that
clients know where to PUT things.

cheers,

dret.