Re: Comments on Linked Data Profile 1.0 Submission

Hi,

Following up on my earlier comment:

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [pruning response]
>
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Steve K Speicher <sspeiche@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> Hi Leigh,
>>
>> Sorry for slow follow-up as well. I've included some comments where
>> needed.
>>
>> Leigh Dodds <ld@talis.com> wrote on 07/11/2012 08:22:35 AM:
> [...]
>>> I understand the general aim, as clients do have more chance of
>>> working with data if they can understand it. One might argue that this
>>> applies just as well to schema terms as well as datatypes. For schema
>>> you've encouraged some best practices and convergence on standard
>>> terms. The same approach could be applied to datatypes.
>>>
>>> There's a matter of degree here too. Truly custom datatypes are
>>> unlikely to be interoperable: there still isn't a well defined recipe
>>> for defining them. However the XML schema datatypes are all
>>> well-defined, if not always widely supported. As I pointed out, I
>>> think more of them are in common use than the subset recommended in
>>> the profile.
>>>
>>> In this kind of standardisation effort I think its worth surveying
>>> usage to determine current practice and deciding the best route
>>> forward.
>>>

>> Seems like a good suggestion, do you have any good references to start
>> with?
>
> Off the top of my head some good sources to look at would be:
>
> * data type support in triple stores/SPARQL implementations. i.e. what
> types are being natively supported?
> * survey of type usage in the LOD cloud. Ought to be possible to query
> some of the LOD caches and extra some metrics on usage of types.

I was reminded recently that the new GeoSPARQL extensions defined by
the Open Geospatial Consortium defines at two new datatypes. One for a
WKT (Well Known Text) literal and one for a GML literal.

While it remains to be seen how well adopted GeoSPARQL becomes, it
seems that a reasonable use case for LDP would be to store data that
conforms to GeoSPARQL and re-uses its vocabulary terms.

More information:

http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/geosparql

Cheers,

L.