Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured data?

On 8/8/12 2:50 AM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> hello kingsley.
>
> On 2012-08-08 3:10 , "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> A tree is a rooted graph. At the base you'll find a graph.
> so you're following henry's reasoning that because everything somehow can
> be mapped to a graph, everything naturally "is" a graph? again, i'd advise
> you to look at the IETF registry and take a look of what's there and see
> how much sense some of these formats would make when represented as a
> graph in a generalized graph notation. more importantly, anything can be
> mapped to anything, but this doesn't tell us anything about the things
> we're mapping.

I agree with Henry, for sure.
I don't really agree with your characterization of the points we are
making here re. Linked Data.

We are saying the representation of a Data Object is a graph pictorial
in 3-tuple form.

Data is how Subject Observation is Represented.

When you speak of structured data you are ultimately speaking about
semantics and syntax for expressing subject observation.

Linked Data is about webby structured data. The whole thing is grounded
in existing architecture of the world wide web (awww).

Linked Data is about a webby approach to the following re., structured data:

1. entities or things are described by web documents
2. each entity has a name, ditto its attributes and attribute values
3. each document has an name/address (an address serves as a web
document name)
4. each document is comprised of content
5. the content takes the form of an eav/spo triples based graph
6. entity names resolve to description document content.

The baseline model for structured data representation is an
entity-attribute-value or subject-predicate-object triple. This is old.
What's new is the combined effects of combining URI abstraction
ingenuity and structured data representation.

>>> - there is the "Linked Data is based on RDF" perspective which is shared
>>> by most people, then
>> It isn't but I can't force you to accept this view point. I am confident
>> that in due course you will realize why this is the case.
> simply google for "define linked data" and see what people are writing.

I am not disputing the existence of mass confusion. I am desperately
trying to kill the propagation of mass confusion.

>>> - there's the "linked data is just data that's linked on the web"
>> Yes, and then you have to hone into the definition of data and how its
>> represented.
> that's where you lose me. all we need for this generalized view is a way
> how data can link to other data, so any data that has the capability to
> include links qualifies. all REST needs is the capability for clients to
> find hypermedia controls in representations.

A client can figure out everything about a chunk of data (a data object
resource) via the relationship semantics that constitute its graph
pictorial based representation. Basically, curl -I -X OPTIONS is all an
HTTP based user agent should require to start discovering what's
possible via operations and URIs.

Example:

curl -I -X OPTIONS http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Virtuoso/06.04.3132 (Linux) x86_64-generic-linux-glibc25-64 VDB
Connection: Keep-Alive
Allow:
GET,HEAD,POST,PUT,DELETE,OPTIONS,PROPFIND,PROPPATCH,COPY,MOVE,LOCK,UNLOCK,TRACE