Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured data?

hello all.

because we had discussions around the rather vaguely written charter
already, a bit of clarification:

On 2012-08-07 18:52 , "Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>This being said, the charter is clear about the dependency on RDF - the
>data model -, while recognizing the existence of the various formats. In
>that context, the RDF WG is working on a JSON format for RDF and I
>certainly expect
> the LDP to allow for the use of that format.

since we have REST in the charter, we have to distinguish two things:

- the model of the data that the platform wants to expose. since the
platform is about linked data, i think it's fair to say that this model
should be RDF-based, because that's what the majority of people think of
as linked data. RDF has a variety of serializations, and thus the exposed
data could be served in a variety of RDF media types.

- the interaction model of the platform that allows clients to interact
with it. doing REST, this will end up being a media type providing the
hypermedia controls that we are building into the platform (paging,
querying, ...). what this media type uses as a metamodel is up for us to
decide. we could use existing standards, or decide we want to define new
ones because we would like to use RDF. initial discussions seemed to
indicate that the majority of WG members preferred an RDF-based model, but
that was during the initial stage when people were still joining the group.

i hope this clarifies matters a bit. please let's keep those two aspects
separate, it will help us greatly to focus the discussion.