Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured data?

Well, the submission is what it is and, yes, it is indeed cast in stone.
But I think what you're really asking is whether the WG must produce a
spec that is the same as the submission and the answer is no. If that were
the case there wouldn't be much point in having a WG.

The WG is chartered to take the submission and use it as a starting point
to produce deliverables that satisfy the charter. In this process anything
can be changed. The default is simply not to.

While the submission addresses part of the charter it certainly doesn't
address all of it and for that matter IBM doesn't claim otherwise.

What the WG needs to do is identify the gaps and fill them in, fix what's
seen as broken, and improve it as much as possible. I think there's plenty
to do just there. :-)

The requirement for RDF/XML in the submission is in the specification
(link #1 in the list you posted):

4.2.2 BPR servers MUST provide an application/rdf+xml representation of
the requested BPR.

So, if you want to change this requirement you will need to make the case
for it and get the WG to agree. But you're certainly free to do so.

On a practical level, the motivation for this whole effort in the first
place was to increase interoperability among RDF implementations by
defining a level of compliance that is greater than what is currently
defined by the existing set of RDF standards. From that point of view, I
don't see how we can get away with not requiring at least one specific
serialization.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Chair of the LDP WG

"Reza B'Far (Oracle)" <reza.bfar@oracle.com> wrote on 08/07/2012 12:30:15
PM:

> [...]
> > To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org,
> > Date: 08/07/2012 11:22 AM
> > Subject: Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured data?
> >
> > Alright.  I'll let other folks raise the concern so I'm not flooding
> > email.  It seems that what you're saying is that the WG is chartered
> > with building a standard that will leverage ALL of RDF (not just the
> > data model part, but everything else too) in a mutually exclusive
> > way to other options (so as to force the implementers to have to
> > support, for example, RDF\XML).  That is a serious concern for me,
> > but if no one else thinks so, I'll rest my case.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > On 8/7/12 11:13 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> > Err. I must admit not to be sure where you're going with that
question.

> > Rather than trying to paraphrase the charter and risking to
> > introduce some inconsistency I would say that the answer to your
> > question is in the very text you quoted. :-)
> > --
> > Arnaud  Le Hors - Co-chair of the LDP WG
> >

> > "Reza B'Far (Oracle)" <reza.bfar@oracle.com> wrote on 08/07/2012
> 10:50:21 AM:
> >
> > > From: "Reza B'Far (Oracle)" <reza.bfar@oracle.com>
> > > To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org,
> > > Date: 08/07/2012 10:53 AM
> > > Subject: Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured
data?

> > > Arnaud -
> > >
> > > I read RDF in the charter and your email (as well as others) as the
> > > literal meaning of the RDF spec which is the superset of RDF data
> > > model, RDF/XML, etc. (everything here - http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/
> > > REC-rdf-schema-20040210/)
> > >
> > > So, I'm trying to reconcile what you referred to in your email about
> > > the charter (http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/charter) with RDF spec (
> > > http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-schema-20040210/).  To that end,
> > > it would be EXTREMELY helpful [I would deem necessary, but that
> > > would need consensus as you've pointed out] if the the refinement
> > > you've put in your email becomes explicit: that the dependency is on
> > > the part of RDF set of specifications which represents the data
> > > model versus the other stuff (RDF/XML, etc.).
> > >
> > > Here is a question that I have during reconciliation -
> > > Charter says: " RDF, the Resource Description Framework, is a W3C
> > Recommended
> > > general technique for conveying information. It has a handful of
> > > syntaxes, including RDF/XML, RDFa, and Turtle, any of which can be
> > > used to transmit RDF statements. The items about which information
> > > is expressed in RDF documents are identified with URIs (eg, http://
> > > example.com/products/Widget-71) but the existing RDF specifications
> > > do not cover dereferencing them. RDF is the basis for Linked Data
and
> > > the Semantic Web. "
> > > What is "RDF" above?  Just the data model (abstractions and concepts
> > > of triples, etc.)? or does that include other things including
RDF\XML?