Re: [LD4LT] annotations on the web: quick survey

Dear all,

as a follow-up to this email and a number of online and offline
discussions, I had since then, it seems both NIF and WA remain to be
popular for their respective users -- and demanded by them. At the same
time, they are only partially compatible with each other or with other
vocabularies to represent linguistic annotations on the web of data --
resp., they provide different levels of expressiveness (a deficit of WA,
less so [but also considerable] for NIF) and different capabilities (e.g.,
to annotate to structured content, a pro of WA).

This effectively leads to fragmentation rather than synergies between
annotation solutions developed in NLP (more NIF-affine), BioNLP (more
WA-affine) and Digital Humanities (more WA-affine), I wanted to organize a
brainstorming session for their prospective harmonization. In case your
interested to contribute, please get back to me via email, and if there are
more than, say, 5 parties involved (be it from LD4LT or from other
background), I set up a Doodle to coordinate a joint call. In fact, if a
concrete vocabulary emerges out of this discussions, this would be a nice
outcome of the CG.

Best regards, and a happy new year,
Christian