Re: workable IFC-RDF conversion?

Hi all,

Hope you had a great conf. If there's any conclusions on this I'd love to
hear them.

For me going to WKT has two reasons:
- it can be CRS-aware, so you can even harmonize geometries that come from
differently georeferenced models, or maybe use a custom project-specific
CRS definition for eastings + northings so that the actual vertices
themselves can remain somewhat similar to the engineering coordinates.
- they can go right into an indexed geometry column in PostGIS so you can
do efficient (3d!) spatial queries on them in a database context. what I
tried to do in [0] is to connect the 3d-aware sql functions in postgis to
the predicates in GeoSPARQL. This worked well, but marmotta as a project
has been moved to "the attic" and its GeoSPARQL implementation never was
merged into the main branch to begin with, so it didn't prove to be a very
future-proof basis to experiment upon. I wouldn't advise to look into this
specifically anymore, but conceptually it's not so hard.

This is of course specific to a use case where you'd ingest a lot of data
and want to do some querying on those. I imagine there can be other use
cases where a more parametric/semantic view on the geometry needs to be
retained.

[0] https://github.com/aothms/marmotta

Kind regards,
Thomas