Re: HTML Content Algorithms dont' take external JSON-LD data into account

Thanks for reaching out, Rinke.

The JSON-LD in HTML stuff is based on "data block" script elements (though it seems like the "data block" phrase fell out of the JSON-LD spec content at some point...).

Data blocks are defined in the HTML spec as a very limited, un-processed script element for which no other attributes have an effect (from an HTML processing level at least):
> Setting the attribute to any other value means that the script is a data block, which is not processed. None of the script<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/scripting.html#the-script-element> attributes (except type<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/scripting.html#attr-script-type> itself) have any effect on data blocks. Authors must use a valid MIME type string<https://mimesniff.spec.whatwg.org/#valid-mime-type> that is not a JavaScript MIME type essence match<https://mimesniff.spec.whatwg.org/#javascript-mime-type-essence-match> to denote data blocks.
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/scripting.html#the-script-element:attr-script-type-4

Sadly, browsers do not currently encourage the use of "remote" data blocks--which is essentially what you've described: `<script type="..." src="..."></script>`

In the meantime, JSON-LD already recommends the use of an HTTP Link header using `rel="alternate"` for discovering JSON-LD variant for the current resource request. So, the same system can be applied to a link element with the same conceptual result: `<link rel="alternate" type="application/ld+json" href="..." />`

However, you may also want to relate other JSON-LD to your page that isn't a 1-to-1 alternate representation for the current resource, so you'd want to express those with other rel values:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml

Would using the link element approach work for your use case?

There's certainly more to explore in this area. 🙂

Cheers!
Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/