Extended types in JSON(-LD)

From: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 16:59:47 +0000
To: "public-json-ld-wg@w3.org" <public-json-ld-wg@w3.org>
Figuring I have the right group of experts here...

Has anyone done work on extending JSON(-LD) with additional data types - or more specifically more clarity on the precision of existing types.  For example, declaring that an "integer" is long vs. short or that a "number" can be represented as a float instead of a double.

We can see how one could define it with JSON Schema, but that doesn't help in simple exchange.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Leonard
P.S. Yes, I know that most of the binary flavors of JSON support extended types, but havent' seen a solution for "raw" JSON.