Re: possible additions to our existing examples?

On 09/08/2024 16:16, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
> I believe several people are working on automatic generation of
> transformations to go from vXML back to the notation described by an
> iXML grammar, but I believe that most existing transforms of that class
> have been constructed manually.

In my message yesterday I misread, thinking this was from the vXML form
or a grammar to the textual iXML form, rather than from the parse tree
to a grammar-conformant textual input form.

As my Balisage paper might suggest, this is a non-trivial problem on
generation of an XSLT transform to do this for an arbitrary iXML
grammar. But my experiment on inversion of an iXML XPath4 grammar shows
it can be done for some large complex subset of possible XPath4
expressions, with a generator that has no direct knowledge of any
specific terminals or non-terminals of that grammar . Generalising this
to a deeper level is an ongoing research issue.

For general interest I attach a hand-crafted stylesheet that will do
inversion of the vXML form of a grammar into the textual iXML notation.
It really is fairly simple, but I'm sure someone will find cases that
break it.....

John

--
*John Lumley* MA PhD CEng FIEE