Re: An easy-to-miss error

Norm Tovey-Walsh <norm@saxonica.com> writes:

> ... The interesting part is the easy-to-overlook error. ...

> Here’s a hint. It’s in this rule: comment = -'{', ~[{}]*, -'}'.
> That middle bit is a exclusion that contains an empty comment, not an
> exclusion that excludes ‘{‘ and ‘}’.

Good eye!  I confess that I didn't find the error until after you told
me which rule to focus on.

I think the example illustrates that ixml's notation for character
classes occurs either within or uncomfortably near a kind of uncanny
valley -- similar enough to common regular expression notations to tempt
the reader's eye to read them as such, and different enough to make that
temptation dangerous.  But I think you are probably right that it may
not be possible to do anything about that fact now.

--
C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC