Re: Further thoughts on delimiter choices

Tom Hillman <tom@expertml.com> writes:

> c.f. this note:
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-31/#id-map-constructors

Fair enough, I suppose. If we accept that users will sometimes need to
add spaces to disambiguate colons, that’s certainly a solution.

I still don’t really understand the motivation for allowing delimiter
choices (“:” or “=” and “;” or “|”) when we could just pick two. I kind
of like “;”, but I suspect that “=” and “|” is intuitively more
consistent than “=” and “;”.

But as long as we aren’t fundamentally opposed to saying “sometimes you
have to add a space”, I guess it isn’t a problem and I’m certainly not
prepared to lie down in front of this particular bulldozer.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norm Tovey-Walsh