Re: The rewrite rules matter

Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> writes:
> But if people are adopting them as given, then we should either point
> out that other rules might work better for them, or indeed rewrite
> them again.

I think it’s clear that they aren’t normative. Using the ones given
initially saved me the trouble of working out a set of rules on my own.
It might be worth adding a note observing that parsers that rely on
converting the ixml EBNF to BNF may see different performance with
different rewrites.

I think all the spec requires is an example of a set of rules, which it
has. It might be helpful to maintain a separate, non-normative document
in the repo that describes other possible rewrites.

I’m happy to take a stab at writing that up, probably as a simple
markdown document, if folks want to send me any other rewrites that they
can think of.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--