Re: ixampl goes Unicode

Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> writes:

>> But from the wording of your mail, one might get the impression that you
>> are constructing your data structures by hand (I'm not sure, but to me
>> it sounded that way); I hope that in fact you are extracting it
>> automatically from the UCD.
> First observation, then (automatic) construction. For instance, if a
> range is interrupted by unassigned codepoints, then I just include
> them in the range and be done with it.
>
>> Thinking about it a bit just now, I think you may do better with a
>> simpler data structure just listing the ranges.
> A good analysis. What you didn't know was that ABC uses B Trees for
> its data structures, so what you describe I get mostly for free anyway
> (one of the reasons I continue to program mostly in ABC. It has other
> performance advantages as well, such as assignment being O(1)).

Except that log(A) + log(B) = log(A * B), which in these cases will
almost always be greater than log(A + B + C).  I think the argument for
a single B-tree with all ranges, as opposed to three B-trees with the
same total number of nodes, holds for B-trees as well as for binary
trees.

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC
http://blackmesatech.com