Re: ixampl goes Unicode

On Thu, 2022-08-18 at 18:12 +0000, Steven Pemberton wrote:
> > It is now live.
> > I haven't yet updated the Unicode character classes though.
> Well, I'm slowly adding them, with the priority being classes L and
> Mn which are both used in the ixml grammar.
>
> What a pain though! It's as if the Unicode design committee put no
> thought into it at all. For instance c0-ff are all letters EXCEPT
> they've stuck the multiply sign × in the middle, and the divide sign
> ÷ somewhere else in the middle.

The story (possibly apocryphal) was that in the final vote for ISO
8859, a claim was made that Œ and œ were not needed by any official
language, and that these should be replaced by × and ÷ to go with plus
and minus. This, it's said, was the Belgian representative being
antagonistic towards the French, who weren't present at the meeting.

Since œ is also used in English, i suspect it's apocyrphal.

> And then the Roman alphabet (in ASCII) has the lowercase letters in
> one range, and the upper case in another.

This was for bit twiddling purposes.

>  But the Latin range 100-17E has them alternating (upper, lower)*
> EXCEPT at #138 they stick an orphaned character, and then at #149
> they do it again.

Once you get beyond the original US ASCII 7-bit range, the bit-
twiddling no longer applies.  It's better than EBCDIC in which a-z are
not contiguous :)

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations:  http://www.fromoldbooks.org