Re: ixampl now supports insertions

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 11:46 PM Norm Tovey-Walsh <norm@saxonica.com> wrote:

> BR Chrisman <brchrisman@gmail.com> writes:
> > Is there an XML format for the ixml referenced here?
>
> Sure. You can get the xml format for any ixml grammar by parsing it with
> the ixml grammar for ixml.
>
> <ixml>
>    <rule name="numbers">
>       <alt>
>          <nonterminal mark="@" name="source"/>
>          <repeat0>
>             <nonterminal name="n"/>
>             <sep>
>                <literal tmark="-" string=", "/>
>             </sep>
>          </repeat0>
>       </alt>
>    </rule>
>    <rule name="source">
>       <alt>
>          <insertion string="ixml"/>
>       </alt>
>    </rule>
>    <rule name="n">
>       <alt>
>          <nonterminal name="neg"/>
>       </alt>
>       <alt>
>          <nonterminal name="pos"/>
>       </alt>
>    </rule>
>    <rule mark="-" name="neg">
>       <alt>
>          <literal tmark="-" string="("/>
>          <insertion string="-"/>
>          <repeat1>
>             <nonterminal name="d"/>
>          </repeat1>
>          <literal tmark="-" string=")"/>
>       </alt>
>    </rule>
>    <rule mark="-" name="pos">
>       <alt>
>          <insertion string="+"/>
>          <repeat1>
>             <nonterminal name="d"/>
>          </repeat1>
>       </alt>
>    </rule>
>    <rule mark="-" name="d">
>       <alt>
>          <inclusion>
>             <member from="0" to="9"/>
>          </inclusion>
>       </alt>
>    </rule>
> </ixml>

I think what I was kind of looking for was a descriptive XML format that
would be more clear about what each piece is doing and allow me to perform
some queries/transformations on it.  The base syntax is extremely concise
and may adhere to what's common in parsers, but there wouldn't be a relaxng
or xsd for the definition of the parse or the possibilities.  I will reread
this after a while and see if it makes more sense to me then.