Re: Parse failure reports

"C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com> writes:
> For what it’s worth (not necessarily what you paid for it) I lean
> toward the second approach, with markup for the different
> pieces of information because that makes it easy for other
> tools to do things with the information (even if it’s just showing
> the information to the user in a different format).

+1. With the additional free suggestion that the line and column number
be reflected in attributes:

  <message line="1" column="2"
           position="line 1, position 2">Parsing failed</message>

I don’t feel strongly about whether @line/@column should replace
@position or be in addition to it. But don’t make me micorparse the
@position attribute to position the cursor in Emacs, please :-)

An option to produce output that’s in a form consistent with C and other
parsers, might be nice too:

  filename:1:2:Parsing failed. Permitted at this position…

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norm Tovey-Walsh