From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [mailto:derhoermi@gmx.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 5:01 PM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: public-iri@w3.org; Magnus Westerlund
Subject: Re: [Uri-review] In WG last call review of URI Schemes rtsp, rtsps and rtspu

* Larry Masinter wrote:
>Note on IRI working group document 4395bis:
>
>I wonder if we should explicitly disallow documents that define new
>schemes from defining fragment identifier syntax within the
>scheme-specific syntax listed or referred to, in the scheme registration
>template.

I think that is quite explicit already, but a reminder seems to be in
order, I've certainly complained about this in a number of registrations
and encountered a number people, and implementations, that had bizarre
ideas about fragment identifiers being specific to individual schemes.

The general idea would be to say something like URIs are

  <scheme>:<scheme-specific-part>#<fragment>

and schemes can only constrain the first two components. It might be a
good idea to ask people who got this wrong in the past what could be
done to avoid their confusion.