Re: "plain text" vs. "running text"

On 6/7/12 1:51 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> <hat type='individual'/>
>>
>> In several places 3987bis uses "plain text" where I think it means
>> "running text"...
>>
>>      Delimiters "<" (U+003C), ">" (U+003E), and '"' (U+0022): Appendix
>>      C of [RFC3986] suggests the use of double-quotes
>>      ("http://example.com/") and angle brackets (<http://example.com/>)
>>      as delimiters for URIs in plain text.
>>
>>      Many applications (for example, mail user agents) try to detect
>>      URIs appearing in plain text.
>
> This is plain text as opposed to marked up text.

Right, that's how 3987bis defines it:

   running text:  Human text (paragraphs, sentences, phrases) with
      syntax according to orthographic conventions of a natural
      language, as opposed to syntax defined for ease of processing by
      machines (e.g., markup, programming languages).

I'm suggesting only that we be consistent about our terminology.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/