RE: I-D Action: draft-klensin-iri-sri-00.txt

Thanks for writing this, it should generate a useful discussion.
I have some editorial nits I'll leave to separate email, but here's some technical
comments.

1) Whereas the generic URI syntax defines an authority component, my
understanding is that it's part of the scheme-specific hier-part so that a new
scheme can define its "authority" component as something other than
      authority   = [ userinfo "@" ] host [ ":" port ]
If so, there should be some way of expressing an authority component
that is something other than a "host" in the classic sense.   RFC 4395 section 2.2
requires only that new schemes MUST adhere to Section 4.3 of RFC 3986 which is
      absolute-URI  = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ]
So you might want a hier-part element with authority and path being
subsidiary elements.

2) Regarding the "port" element.   One issue for both URIs and this (and IRIs) is that
RFC 6335 recommends use of service names rather than static port numbers
for new protocols.   So I'd expect new schemes to want to be capable of using
them and not just port numbers.   RFC 3986 allows a new scheme to define its own
hier-part, but we should really have a common way to express service names.
Perhaps by:
      authority   = [ userinfo "@" ] host [ ":" servicename ]
RFC 6335 section 5.1 already requires service names to have a non-digit so there
cannot be ambiguity.

3) For the query element, if you're defining an XML syntax, it might be a good
idea to define some typical way of expressing an unordered list of name/value pairs,
since that's very common.

4) Would be good to add an example showing what happens with "%", since I
couldn't follow the text in section 4.

5) Would be good to add an example showing how <> are encoded.  For example,
if a user types in "</query>" into some app, which then wants to put the input
string into the query component, what would the resulting XML look like?

-Dave