Re: [iri] #93: clarify which characters are disallowed vs. not recommended

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM, iri issue tracker
<trac+iri@trac.tools.ietf.org> wrote:
> #93: clarify which characters are disallowed vs. not recommended
>

> Comment (by masinter@…):
>
>  The problem here is that in some cases, the difference between LEIRI and
>  IRI is not uniform. For example, private use characters are allowed in
>  IRIs in the query component, and in LEIRIs everywhere. So the advice on
>  "Converting LEIRIs to IRIs" isn't quite accurate, since you might want to
>  utf-8 percent-hex-encode private use characters in other parts of the
>  LEIRI when converting to an IRI but leave the private use characters in
>  the query component alone.
>
>  Two choices: change IRIs to allow them everywhere, or change the section
>  on converting LEIRIs. Which does the WG prefer?

Um, neither?  I believe that consistently percent-hex-encoding private
use characters
in the  conversion from LEIRIs to IRIs is not harmful and is by far
the easiest thing to do
correctly.  The code consuming the query component should treat the
percent-hex-encoded
private use character and the private use character as equivalent, in
my personal opinion.
Provided it does so, there is no need to change the section on
converting LEIRIs.

My two cents,

Ted