Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-02.txt

* John C Klensin wrote:
>And, fwiw, I think that is another symptom of lack of broad
>consensus about whether IRIs are part of UI/presentation
>interfaces or are protocol elements.  Proceeding simultaneously
>as if they are both, or whichever is convenient at the moment,
>does not make it easy to think clearly about those role, much
>less identify them.

I would find it very helpful if you could discuss that point without
using the term "protocol element". draft-duerst-iri-00 will be a de-
cade old on Tuesday and it says in the first sub-clause of the first
sentence of the Abstract that IRIs are protocol elements; RFC 3987
does the same. RFC 3987 might be using the term incorrectly, but in
the language of RFC 3987 IRIs are protocol elements by definition.