Re: [iri] #123: coordinate URI/IRI scheme prefix discussion with W3C HTML WG

On 2012-04-12 17:23, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>, 2012-04-12 17:17 +0200:
>
>> I also note that Mike Smith just posted in HTML WG land:
>>
>>> I have had a discussion with the chairs of the IETF IRI WG regarding HTML
>>> WG issue 189. A related IETF IRI WG ticket had opened for this issue, but a
>>> determination was then made that the issue is out of scope for the IRI WG.
>>>
>>> Based on that, my recommendation is that the HTML WG should proceed on
>>> whatever the next steps are on this issue, without blocking on getting any
>>> further consideration of it from the IRI WG.
>>
>> (<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0075.html>)
>>
>> That sounds a bit like what he heard is "the IRI WG does not care about
>> this", which I believe would be very unfortunate.
>
> That's not what I heard. What I heard is exactly what I wrote. The only
> comment posted to the issue was one that said it was out of scope, and the
> issue was closed as wontfix. As I understand it, that indicates the IRI WG
> is not planning to take any further action on it, and that's something the
> HTML WG should know. If the IRI WG decides to re-open the issue, then I can
> communicate that back to the HTML WG.

Well, I don't know what you heard, because I wasn't part of the
conversation.

I *do* continue to believe that assigning semantics to a scheme name
prefix is a bad idea, and that the HTML WG needs to consult the IETF on
this.

I believe the current resolution in the IRI WG ticket is misleading, and
that's why I sent the email above.

Best regards, Julian