Re: [iri] #123: coordinate URI/IRI scheme prefix discussion with W3C HTML WG

On 2012-04-05 23:37, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 4/3/12 3:14 AM, iri issue tracker wrote:
>> #123: coordinate URI/IRI scheme prefix discussion with W3C HTML WG
>>
>> Changes (by masinter@…):
>>
>>   * status:  new =>  closed
>>   * resolution:   =>  wontfix
>>

>> Comment:
>>
>>   I'd like to say this is out of scope for the IRI working group.
>>
>>   We shouldn't hold up putting RFC 4395bis to working group last call,
>>   because of the potential of some proposal being made here. Establishing a
>>   convention as proposed could be processed independently, and wouldn't
>>   invalidate anything currently in 4395bis.
>
> Agreed.

I disagree that it's out-of-scope. This WG defines the registration
procedure, and if people overload the syntax with semantics, this
indicates that they can't do what they want right now.

(Whether this is a good idea in the first place is a separate discussion)

I *agree* that RFC4395bis should not be blocked by this as we have no
idea how long it'll take to settle this.

I also note that Mike Smith just posted in HTML WG land:

> I have had a discussion with the chairs of the IETF IRI WG regarding HTML
> WG issue 189. A related IETF IRI WG ticket had opened for this issue, but a
> determination was then made that the issue is out of scope for the IRI WG.
>
> Based on that, my recommendation is that the HTML WG should proceed on
> whatever the next steps are on this issue, without blocking on getting any
> further consideration of it from the IRI WG.

(<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0075.html>)

That sounds a bit like what he heard is "the IRI WG does not care about
this", which I believe would be very unfortunate.

Best regards, Julian