From: Shawn Steele [mailto:Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 1:59 AM
To: Adil Allawi
Cc: public-iri@w3.org; "Martin J. Dürst"
Subject: RE: [iri] #121: BIDI: Some users are requiring right-to-left label ordering.

I'm not sure what "reorder unexpectedly" means.

Presumably an Arabic speaker that went to an internet site:  LABEL2.LABEL1 would definitely NOT expect LABEL1.LABEL2/index.html just because we now have added "index.html" to it.  (And LABEL2.LABEL1/index.html is far worse from our investigations).

Your suggestion might make sense for a user that normally only sees LTR text (like me), but for a user that normally sees RTL text, you could argue the opposite:  That unless there's strong left-dominant context (eg: it IS embedded in a line of Latin text), that it should be ordered from RTL.

-Shawn