Re: requesting feedback regarding HTML5 and RFC 3987

On 2011-05-24 20:03, Chris Weber wrote:
> In March 2011, the W3C's HTML WG made a decision to close ISSUE-56
> when the parties involved could not come to agreement on aligning
> HTML5 with the IRI WG's revisions to RFC 3987:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0404.html
>
> That decision effectively removed the HTML5 specification's
> dependency on rfc3987bis.  It appears that this was done so that
> the HTML5 specification could define how to translate input strings
> contained in text/html documents into URIs.
>
> However, our understanding is that ISSUE-56 can be reopened if new
> information emerges, such as "IETF completing production of a
> document suitable as a formal reference".  And of course as chairs
> of the IRI WG we would like to deliver such a document.
>
> Here is the minimum baseline that we understand is necessary in order
> to meet the needs of the W3C's HTML WG:
>
> 1) The IRI specification will provide "MUST" language and normative
>     algorithms for parsing arbitrary Unicode strings as IRI against
>     an absolute base URL.

- I'm not convinced that parsing arbitrary sequences into *IRIs* is
indeed required

- I'm also not sure about the requirement on "normative algorithms";
maybe we can clarify what qualifies as such.

> 2) The IRI specification will define how to extract the hostname out
>     of an IRI for proper resolution and application of the same origin
>     policy.

It has done so for many years (unless this is about an IDNA/I18N aspect
I'm usually try to stay away from :-)

> 3) The IRI specification will define how base URI referencing would
>     be performed for hierarchical schemes.

Not sure what you mean by "base URI referencing".

The URI spec defines resolution already, and the algorithm it uses can
be applied to IRIs as well. Furthermore, it doesn't depend on knowledge
about whether a scheme is hierarchical or not.

> The chairs would like to request feedback from the group, especially
> those who are also participants in the HTML WG, about whether the
> those three deliverables would be sufficient to meet the needs of
> the W3C's HTML WG.  If so, we will follow up with more
> detailed suggestions for moving toward resolution of those issues.

...see also
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-iri/2011Apr/0043.html> and
the subsequent thread.

Best regards, Julian