Re: Non-hierarchical base URLs (was Re: draft-abarth-url-01 uploaded)

On May 2, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> On May 2, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>>> You're missing the constraint that browser vendors aren't going to
>>> change their implementations to align with this dream.
>>
>> There is no such constraint.  Real browser developers like to fix
>> bugs when they are found, particularly when it makes their behavior
>> more interoperable with existing content.
>
> Perhaps you missed this message:
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 25, 2011, at 1:27 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> Actually, Safari *does* the right thing here.
>>
>> Safari has serious bugs as a result of doing the RFC-compliant thing here. We plan to change to be more like other browsers.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maciej
>
> AFAIK, Maciej is about as "real" a browser developer as they come.

AFAICT, Maciej based that statement on memory instead of an actual
use case or test, since Safari does parse URIs correctly and so does
Firefox.  When we come up with an example that is "more like other
browsers" and is still broken, then we can talk about how to fix it.

And when we do, all implementations will be taken into consideration.

....Roy