Re: parsing URI (references) according to RFC 3986

On 2011-06-20 09:49, Chris Weber wrote:
> I hear you :) I was also thinking of the general differences with a "|"
> in the path segment of an http URL. Check out the DOM parsing results of
> the following test case:
>
> http://0152.iris.test.ing/foo|bar/
>
> Path Browser
> /foo%7Cbar/ Chrome/12
> foo%7Cbar/ MSIE 7.0
> /foo|bar/ Opera/9.80
> /foo|bar/ Safari/5.0.5
> /foo|bar/ Firefox/4.0.1

So Chrome and IE fix the invalid character early...

> But the more interesting thing here is that the raw HTTP request doesn't
> match:
>
> Path Browser
> /foo%7Cbar/ Chrome/12
> /foo%7Cbar/ MSIE 7.0
> /foo|bar/ Opera/9.80
> /foo%7Cbar/ Safari/5.0.5
> /foo|bar/ Firefox/4.0.1
>
> In this case Safari's DOM 'path' property is different than the raw HTTP
> request 'path' it generates to fetch the resource. Who's doing the right
> thing here?

...while Safari only does it only on the wire, and Opera and Firefox do
not fix them at all. So with the two latter ones, the request will only
"work" if the HTTP server does the fixup.

At this point, none of these behaviors is "right" -- we *can* try to
agree on one and recommend it, though.

Best regards, Julian