Re: How browsers display IRI's with mixed encodings

Chris Weber, Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:00:47 -0700:
> On 7/22/2011 4:42 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Chris, may be you could show an example of when it would be a problem
>> if validators would warn against using not-UTF8-based percent encodings?
>
> I don't think I understand.  Test percent-encoded non-UTF8, such as
> %FC, and demonstrate how it could be a problem if/when validators
> would reject or warn against them?  What problems would be tested -
> failure to parse, failure to navigate, etc?

It goes back to our previous exchange:

>> Because, if, in a ISO-8859-1 encoded page, hef="D%FCrst" does not work
>> as well as href="Dürst", then I think HTML5 validators in fact should
>> warn against use of percent encoding that isn't UTF-8 based.
>
> That would probably be ideal but would not provide for raw data that
> might need to be passed in the IRI, especially the query component.

It is one thing that %FC needs to work (in some sense - like
quirks-mode pages also have to work even if it is not valid). But if
there is no good necessary usecase for %FC, then we should help authors
avoid problems by encourage validators to warn against it use.
--
Leif H Silli