RE: reviewing draft-weber-iri-guidelines-00

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 12:18:26 -0700
To: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com>, "public-iri@w3.org" <public-iri@w3.org>, "chris@lookout.net" <chris@lookout.net>

> One additional comment.  Section 4, bullet 1.  I propose to mention that the
> BOM character, if present in the trailing position, should be removed when
> pre-precessing.  This is also in accordance with Unicode Standard.

No, that would probably be a bad thing to do. The trailing position in an IRI could be a piece of valid data:

   http://example.com/myCharPicker?char=&#xFEFF;

Outside its role as an announcer---at the start of a text file---BOM is not that useful [it's job of "zero width non-breaking space" is better done by the WORD JOINER character], but it is still a valid code point that might be exchanged. There is no reason to require its removal.

Cf. http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#bom6

Addison