Re: reviewing draft-weber-iri-guidelines-00

On 7/5/2011 3:29 PM, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> A couple of quick comments.
>
> NB: for a cleaner copy:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-weber-iri-guidelines
>
> NFC is useful for more than just matching, but I agree that it shouldn't
> be applied; some servers will be looking for non-NFC fields and fail.

Okay, and 3987 also agrees with you in Section 3.1
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-05#section-3.1
and in section
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-05#section-5.3.2.2.
  For parsing and interpreting the IRI MUST NOT be normalized, but for
equivalence testing NFC MUST be used but only in the exception cases
like a conversion from non-UCS to UCS...  However, it does go on to
suggest that when IRIs are created they should be normalized with NFC or
NFKC.  Do you agree with that?

> Also:
>
>     4.  Replace each entity references with its corresponding character.
>

> This can't be done until /after/ the fields of an IRI are parsed out.
> Example: in a path, you don't want an escaped / or # or ? to be
> transformed until after you've parsed out the path.

Ah of course, that would be a big problem :)

Much thanks,
Chris