Re: same-document references

* Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>On 7/1/11 10:20 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> So, you have this DOM and some event like clicking a link. You then have
>> some specification that defines, given the DOM and given the event, then
>> something or other happens. And this specification says, for instance,
>>
>>    The reference is X and the base reference is Y; retrieve X.
>
>OK.
>
>So in this case X is an absolute URI and Y is the base URI, right?
>
>That seems to not match the behavior of any browser, for what it's
>worth.  Does it match the behavior of anything at all?

I am not sure why you think I was trying to describe browser behavior.
You need certain things in order to apply the text in question, "When
a same-document reference is dereferenced for a retrieval action"; in
particular, in order to have a same-document reference you need a re-
ference and a base reference as "same-document reference" is defined
in terms of the two, and you need some cause for a retrieval action.
You also need a specification that defines you have these things. So,
this is just the basic setup I am assuming when reading the text.

>Or are you saying that the "base URI" for the purpose of this section
>should be something other than the actual base URI of HTML documents
>(that thing used for relative URI resolution), if the HTML spec wants?

If you dereference a reference for retrieval and also have a base re-
ference, then you can decide whether the reference is a same-document
reference, and if it is, then you have already retrieved the resource
and should not retrieve it again. The HTML specification would have to
say that something triggers dereferencing for retrieval and it would
have to say what the reference is and what the base is (if anything).

I think it is fair to look at this in isolation, so, yes, pretty much.