Re: Some additional comments on 4395bis

<hat type='individual'/>

On 8/21/11 4:23 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> As IRI WG is still working on 4395bis, I'd like we considered the
> following two issues:
>
> - URI/IRI schemes de-assignment.  The issue was raised by Frank
> Ellermann on uri-review list recently [1]; it is that particular
> provisionally-registered schemes can be de-assigned by their
> registrants.  RFC 4395 says nothing about this; so I suppose 4395bis
> will have something to say.  (BTW, this feature may be useful for 'afs'
> URI scheme, which has "hung" in the undefined state from 1994, time of
> publication of RFC 1738).

Doesn't that apply to all provisional registrations, not only to
provisional URI scheme registrations?

> -Exact format of IANA registry.  This is as required by RFC 5226 and
> what has yet been undefined.  Taking into account IANA's effort to
> transform all the registries into XML, the explicit description is
> desired.  Current HTML registry [2] has 3 columns: Scheme name,
> Description, and Reference, whereas the authors aren't obliged to fill
> in or mention the values of the second column; IANA is thus responsible
> for writing something there.  For some schemes, eg. 'view-source',
> 'pack' et al., this is quite problematic; therefore, my proposal: in the
> IANA considerations section of 4395bis include the description of the
> registry, skipping the "Description" column itself.

I would prefer to say that the registrant needs to provide the
description. What you suggest sounds like we are asking IANA to remove
that column from the existing registry.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre