Re: Non-hierarchical base URLs (was Re: draft-abarth-url-01 uploaded)

On 28.04.2011 08:29, Adam Barth wrote:
>> However, for the subset of possible references that do happen
>> to match what are called valid URI references by RFC3986, then
>> we have already tested consensus and deployed many implementations
>> that conform exactly to the results given in RFC3986.  If you
>> find a difference between that and a single browser's behavior,
>> then that browser has a bug and should be fixed.
>
> We've had implementors state on this list that they aren't going to do
> that.  In fact, they have stated that they're going to make their
> implementations less conformant with RFC 3986 because the requirements
> in RFC 3986 don't match the requirements they face the in real world.
>
> We can ignore what these implementors want, but that just means
> they'll ignore us.

Please make sure that you also get the support from those implementers
that *do* follow the spec. Reminder: not only UA implementers.

That being said: it would be good to understand that the actual
difference *is*.

Best regards, Julian