Re: Non-hierarchical base URLs (was Re: draft-abarth-url-01 uploaded)

On 4/26/11 12:03 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> <base href="data://foo/bar?baz#qux">
> <script>
> alert(document.getElementsByTagName('a')[0].href)
> </script>
>
> The results are:
>
> A: Firefox 4, IE 9: ignore the <base> element, and resolve "taco.html"
> against where the document was served from
> - This is an edge case; unless I'm missing something, using "data:" as a
> base URI is meaningless. This is what FF and IE seem to think.

That's not what Gecko thinks.

What Gecko thinks is that this is a URI it can't parse at all as a URI,
so it ignores the <base>.  The reason it can't parse it is that the
string after "data:" doesn't match the production we expect for a data:
URI (no comma, for example).

You would get the same effect in Gecko with:

<base href="http://spaces here/">
<script>
alert(document.getElementsByTagName('a')[0].href)
</script>

(but not if you removed the ' ' in the http URI, note).

> - There's no interop here at all. So it appears we could recommend
> something that is actually based by the specs.

Assuming this test is representative.  Is it?

-Boris