Re: draft-abarth-url-01 uploaded

On 24.04.2011 20:10, Adam Barth wrote:
> This purpose of this document is to fulfill this requirement from the charter:
>
>    * The IRI specification(s) must (continue to) be suitable
>    for normative reference with Web and XML standards from W3C
>    specifications. The group should coordinate with the W3C working
>    groups on HTML5, XML Core, and Internationalization, as well
>    as with IETF HTTPBIS WG to ensure acceptability.
>
> The normative requirements of the document are something the working
> group will need to reach consensus about.  You're more of an expert on
> IETF process than I am, but I would be surprised if we would need to
> agree about normative requirements of the document before adopting it
> as a working group item.  That would seem to pre-judge the outcome.

Well, we should think about whether the current contents has any
resemblance to the kind of document the WG should deliver. I think
currently this is not the case.

> Finding the scheme aborts the "finding the scheme" algorithm (hence
> the separate section and the phrase "these steps") and reports that
> the URL is invalid when there is no scheme.  The algorithm for
> resolving a relative URL then continues down this branch "if
> relative-url is an invalid URL...".

Got it, thanks.

So, 4.1 says:

>    TODO: If base-url's scheme is not hierarchical, we can't resolve as a
>    relative URL.  We'll probably want to return an invalid URL.  Check
>    what happens when resolving an empty string as a relative URL with a
>    non-hierarchical base.

If you look at RFC 3986 you will see that there's no problem like that.
Both URIs and relative references are parsed into components, and the
resolution algorithm doesn't care where they came from, and has no extra
knowledge of "hierarchical" or specific schemes.

I understand what you're doing - rephrasing existing code that you think
is good into a spec - but I just don't see how this is helpful if we
can't compare the outcome with what the existing specs say.

Can we please focus on a test suite first (and yes, I'm doing my
homework as well; if you can supply a set of test URIs in
machine-readable format that would be super-helpful).

Best regards, Julian