Re: Starting work on a URL specification

Hello Adam,

On 2010/07/24 5:24, Adam Barth wrote:
> I've started work on a specification for how browsers process URLs:

This is a good idea. It has been tried before, but not with real success.

> http://github.com/abarth/url-spec
>
> Currently, the repository is empty, but I expect to put together the
> skeleton of the document over the next few weeks.

I already found something there, at
http://github.com/abarth/url-spec/blob/master/drafts/url.txt. However, I
quickly stopped reading after I had read the first few lines:

Copyright (C) 2010, Adam Barth.  All rights reserved.

Note: I'll probably make this document available under a more liberal
license
       in the future.  At the moment, however, no such license is available.

While it's way easier to deal with copyright than with patents, I don't
want to do anything wrong based on what I might have read. Of course, I
hope that the copyright will be changed soon.

> If you have
> feedback on the document as it begins to take shape, please direct
> your feedback either to me directly or, preferably, to
> whatwg@whatwg.org.

Obviously, an alternative would be to publish this document as an
Internet Draft, and to discuss with the IRI WG about how to make it a WG
document, or integrate it into a WG document.

I wouldn't mind if you went to some other venue after having been told
that you are not welcome at the IETF (and in particular, the IRI WG).
But as far as I'm aware, no such thing has happened, nor do I think it
should happen. It's exactly your expertise that we need.

Regards,    Martin.