Re: "Web Address processing" (ABNF, processing proposal)

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:23:07 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I just checked CSS for the syntax, and found:
>>
>> "The format of a URI value is 'url(' followed by optional white space
>> followed by an optional single quote (') or double quote (") character
>> followed by the URI itself, followed by an optional single quote (')
>> or double quote (") character followed by optional white space
>> followed by ')'. The two quote characters must be the same." --
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#value-def-uri>
>>
>> So trimming the IRI certainly does not "need" to be done in the IRI
>> spec; it's simply your preference.
>
> I believe newlines always need to be removed.

Leading/trailing, or in-line?

>> We discussed earlier the use of white-space separated lists of IRIs in
>> HTML5 (I think on IRC). Could you please elaborate why you think it's
>> acceptable for the spec to mandate "split on whitespace", but then
>> it's unacceptable to say "trim whitespace"? As far as I can tell, both
>> fall into the same category of preprocessing input.
>
> No. One is about parsing a string for IRIs and one is about parsing an IRI.

In one case it's parsing a string for a set of IRIs, in the other case
it's parsing a string for a single IRI. At least it *could* be defined
that way, and it surely would be consistent with other parts of the spec.

Best regards, Julian