Re: [draft-duerst-iri-bis-06] differences from HTML5 algorithm

On 2009/09/11 23:24, Erik van der Poel wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Anne van Kesteren<annevk@opera.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:57:40 +0200, Martin J. Dürst<duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>  wrote:
>>> This essentially says that you MAY send data from a form in the document
>>> encoding, and was followed well by browsers. It seems that some browser
>>> implementer along the way extended that to query parts in other URIs (which
>>> don't have anything to do with<form>), and got stuck with it.
>
> I don't know which browser version first did this. I don't even know
> which vendor. It may have been Netscape or MSIE (or ...).
>
> But look at it from the point of view of the server. The server cannot
> tell whether the incoming URI is from an HTML<form>  or an HTML<a>.
> So it would be nice if the browser treated both the same way.

Of course. But it's not just forms (where we have accept-charset) and
and <a>. It's also stuff typed directly into an address bar, where there
is not much choice except to assume UTF-8.

So whichever way, the server may have a tough job.

Regards,   Martin.