Re: [draft-duerst-iri-bis-06] differences from HTML5 algorithm

Hello Anne,

On 2009/09/10 21:10, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:08:45 +0200, Martin J. Dürst
> <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>> I haven't looked at this in detail, but Larry may have. We definitely
>> don't want to have accidental differences between the algorithms. But
>> we may also have to as you back for rationale for some of the steps in
>> the original HTML5 algorithm.
>
> I just looked again and the first point in the algorithm is already
> different. Where HTML5 trims all whitespace characters iri-bis only
> trims U+0020. Anyway, I hope you get back to me when either of you
> studied the differences better.

Yes, will do.

> As for the rationale for the HTML5 algorithm. Ian would know better, but
> I think all can be traced back to reverse engineering browsers and
> making a decision based on the data you get out of that. It should be
> possible to trace it all back to implementations.

At least personally, I'm always also interested in the "story behind the
story", i.e. things like which version of which browser got it wrong
(and others followed), and so on. But much of that might be difficult to
reconstruct.

Regards,    Martin.